Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Perfume

Hello

My choice this month. Perfume by Patrick Suskind.



I really enjoyed this book even the gory bits. An unusual story about a murderer who is driven by the perfum of people.

We ate at the Ewe and Lamb, Rolvenden Layne.



Lovely pub and good main courses. I had steak and it was very tasty. Unfortunately the puddings were a bit of a disappointment. Kath and I ordered Tart Tatin - I think this is normally made with apples - ours arrived topped with pineapple which would have been ok if they had not sprinkled it liberally with chilli (including the seeds) and the pastry was cold in the middle and soggy. The free coffee/tea was ok and the chocolates that came with it lovely.



Happy reading

Kate

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I too enjoyed the book. It was a very strange subject so it must have been jolly well written (and translated) for it to have been such a success within the group
My stead was quite delicious and, as I didnt order pudding, I was spared the surprise of the spiced pineapple tartin. However, I would swear that my decaffinated (sp?) coffee was not what it claimed to be. Definitely felt like I had been drinking the real thing by the time I got home. Kate ate so much broke the elastic band which is holding my car together on the way home. There was a definite Twang as we drove up her drive and another smaller twang when I got home. Have set the group a bit of a challenge with this month's book - hope they are still talking to me

Sarah said...

no I didnt eat my trusty horse - I meant to write 'steak'

Sarah said...

According to wikipedia Tarte Tatin is 'an upside-down apple tart in which the apples are caramelized in butter and sugar before the tart is baked' It goes on to say 'Tarte Tatin can also be made with pears, peaches, pineapple, other fruit, or vegetables, such as onion'. Dont fancy the onion version myself!

Kate said...

Hmmm I thought as much.

And it would have been ok with good pastry and any fresh fruit but probably not the chili.